Monday, September 19, 2005

Overdue

I guess it's been a little while since I let ya'll know what's happenin huh. Jason's computer had a bug in it, and we couldn't get on the internet for a bit, but I bought a laptop a couple of days ago, and got it all hooked up for wireless internet, so I have a lot more accessability to the web now. So, the latest news on going down south...
The Red Cross called me on Thur. asking me to go to Montegomery AL for a bit, and then I might be dispatched eslewhere from there, and they wanted me to leave on Fri. Well, the most recent thing that's been going on with this whole deal is really good news. I chose not to go with the Red Cross. I know you're all flabergasted because I talked so much about it, and really wanted to go, but here's why. Leavenworth County finally decided they were going to try and do something to help as well. It took the county a little while to get on the ball, but they finally conceded. What's going on is Leavenworth County joined up with 3 other counties around the area to assemble what we call a unified response and recovery team of KS. There will be several teams of people from all 4 counties that will be sent to the communities directly affected by the disaster, to help rebuild the community. We will be sending everything from logistics and payroll people to EMS, Police, and the people that work at the County Shop doing whatever it is they do...I think they're general maintenance fix everything kinda folk. Anyway, what this means for me is by choosing to go with the county instead of the Red Cross, I won't loose 3 weeks pay, I won't have to cover the costs of my own health ins. for 3 weeks, and I'll be getting paid by the county with an end result of making more than I would in the normal 18 days (that's how long we'll be gone with the county). What this means is my bank won't feel the $2500 loss it would've cost me to go with the Red Cross. That sounds like a lot, and that is a lot to me, but if the county wasn't going, I was going to go one way or another. I think the experience would've been well worth the cost, and the opportunity to speak with, and share God's love with that many people in desperate need of hope is priceless. Now, praise God, I'll be able to do it and get paid at the same time. The only bad part is, it means more waiting. I guess I've been doing that for about 3 weeks now anyway, what's a couple more? So, that's that.

What's up with me...
Believe it or not, my life doesn't actually revolve around this trip right now. I still go to work every day, or not really, but every day I'm supposed to, I still have everything else to keep up with, at church especially, and most importantly, I have my relationship with God to keep growing in...most of the time. I've had to work the past two sundays, and the past 3 wed's also, so I will finally be back at youth this week, and then I have two more sunday's I'll be out from church. (one was because I hit a deer on I-70 with an ambulance at 70 mph, and I had to fill out tons of paperwork, and take a pee test to make sure I wasn't on drugs or alchohol, so I missed church that day). I'm very excited to get back to youth. I really really hate missing both youth and church. It really takes its toll on my spiritual life. I always just feel distant from God during those times, and it's very tough sometimes to push through anyway and keep moving forward. The past couple of weeks have been an example of that. It's sorta good and bad. It's bad because I feel distant from God, and it's good because it makes me so spiritually hungry, I could eat a spiritual cow...whatever that might look like...and it brings me to my knees and a place of dependency on God to work in me, whereas at other points I seem to get comfortable in my walk and things become routine instead of relationship...I think you know what I mean. So when people talk about the Christian life being a rollercoaster, I totally know what they mean. Not that these are huge mountains to climb or anything, just that it's almost cyclistic. So, the past week I've been really hungering for God, but seemingly unable to reach Him. I would sit down and read my Bible, and where I normally eat it all up, instead would feel like I'm getting nothing out of it, and just reading it for the sake of saying to myself that I read my Bible consistently, which unfortunately Isn't always the case. But it's been good. Take for instance a forest. A forest can grow thicker and thicker, until it has no room to grow, and in some ways it becomes unhealthy for it. Then, a massive wildland fire sweeps through and destroys much of the trees. Well, this seems like a very bad thing for the forest, but it actually gives the forest more room to grow, and become healthier than it ever could've before. Romans 8:28 says "for we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose." And I guess this is just an illustration of that, that God can even take spiritual dryness, and turn it into good.

So, I will hopefully get my blog fixed up again, that will be good, and then I have to keep updating the youth blog as well...I better, since that's the reason I deleted mine.

5 Comments:

At 2:50 PM, Blogger d said...

good to hear everything is fixing itself out...told ya you were needed there! ;) haha...have a wonderful time

thank God for healping this dude out

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger BullMoose&Taft said...

Good for you. Thats cool, getting paid to do what you feel God is calling you to do is always a good thing. Comment loser. end.

 
At 7:37 PM, Blogger Brenton said...

Luke thats awesome......nice forest alliteration too. I like it. Praise God for all the good He is doing right now. His faithfulness is so incredibly evident, that i am sometimes overwhelmed by it. But that is a good thing. I'm glad this whole trip deal is finally paying off. I know that you're going to do His work down there either way, and i couldn't be happier for ya bro. God Bless ya.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger FL PT said...

Luke...thanks for updating us. I was thinking about you during these past few weeks, wondering what God was working in your life. I am happy to read about what He has done. Not surprisingly, He has made all things come together perfectly. May He bless you in the journey ahead...

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Luke said...

No Joke. God is incredibly faithful. All the stuff with getting to go is nice, but his faithfullness to me when I call to Him is so much more important. The fact that He listens and cares about me is mind boggling. This is the creator of the everything, the beginning and the end, and He wants to be involved in even the little things in my life...that's amazing. He truly is indescribable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home