Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Memories and Inspiration

I was reading Ben's blog recently of his memories from a first year teacher and some of the very interesting things that occured in the time (and yes Ben, it's purely miraculous you didn't get fired), and it got me thinking of some of my own. Somehow, Ben has this amazing way of taking words and giving them life so the reader gets lost in mystery and amazement and all things receive new meaning. I guess that's part of the power of being an english major. Anyway, if you haven't checked out his blog, you simply must. What you'll find there is mystical and magical, words float around like clouds and stars in the back of my dad's pickup on a cool Arizona night...and let me tell you, there isn't much that beats that. Some of my favorite memories are sitting back there on the way home from a road trip, just letting the wind whip through my hair as the pale moonlight creates a slight glow on the back of my eyelids. I can recall those moments...often my dad would be flying down a dirt road on the side of a mountain, and at first I would be a little frightened by the several hundred foot drop that sat a mere foot or two away from our tires edge, eventually though it would all fade and I would come to trust that dad knew what he was doing and wouldn't let anything happen to his kids. So I would lie back there and watch the sky and for that hour or two, nothing in the world could be more peaceful, nothing could be more magical. Even jotting down memories from the past takes me back, and I can feel my body relax as all my cares fade away. That's a feeling I miss. It reminds me of home, the family, trusting that all will be fine. There isn't much that can take me back to that magical feeling, but somehow Ben has a way of doing it. I can read his blog and get lost in the magic of words, and suddenly life is no longer busy all the time full of schedules and hardships. Somehow life changes amidst that page, while words dance around and capture you in a spell...I eventually wake up and come back to reality, but there's always a part of me that agrees that life should be mystical, that there's beauty in the mystery, and the only way to experience all the many wonderful hidden things is to let go and let God take the wheel. And much like my dad, trust that He won't let anything bad happen to his kids. So Ben, thanks for being inspirational and putting some of the magic back into life, thanks Dad for being such a great father and friend, and thank you Lord for always being there for me.

14 Comments:

At 4:41 PM, Blogger BullMoose&Taft said...

Now you see why i read so much. Sometimes its really nice to just get lost. Life should be magical and feel special and so should God. I'm not sure how to put to words all that i feel life should be and how are realtionships should be with God but i guess magic is just the word. It should be magic, marvelous, mysterious, mystical, warming,EVERYTHING postive.

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger David Killough said...

Reading what you wrote took me back. I remember those days as if they were yesterday.

 
At 12:47 PM, Blogger Brenton said...

Hey bro,
Monday night was real good. Thanks for the chat. I knew i had 2 tests the next day, but sometimes God just takes care of that......not condoning it by anymeans....but i did get a 96 on one of the tests!

I think its an incredible irony that God has designed, that every time we long after Him and come to know Him better, we find out how much more we don't know about Him. I hope by the end of my life, i have so many questions about his love that i can have the rest of eternity having the answers explained to me. He is amazing. Who are we to question Him, but to find out how much more He loves us?

I was gonna call ya today to get you to come to class but you're workin.....ya bum!!! That's cool though...you'll have to make it some other time. Love ya bro

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger pdog said...

hey, i miss you, Luke!!!!!!
david comes home for a couple days, since my grandma died. maybe I'll come to Kansas for New Years. Are you gonna be in kansas or AZ?
well ttyl, g2g to bed...
pat

 
At 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Luke I'm seeing stars...your pretty good at that writin thing too.

Love Mom :D

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Luke said...

Hey Pat! I'll be in KS for New Years...I think I'm working New Years Eve though...or at least I'm pretty sure I am. Anyway, let me know anytime you want to come, and I'll check my schedule so we can chill. I miss you too buddy. I feel bad cause I'm so busy here, and I don't get to hang with your bro nearly as much as I'd like to, but I guess I can only do so much. It's nice having him around though...I hope he enjoys his trip back home and doesn't get too jet lagged. Well, I'll talk to you later.

-----------------------------------
Bob mate (maybe that'll be your new name...Bobmate...one word, it's kinda like checkmate), congrats on the test. Gotta love that huh? My middle bro has a couple stories like that too...he's a procrastinator just like you and I. Anyway, I appreciate you letting me chill late in your room, and for sharing your awesome bowl of chili with me. Sorry I'm such a distraction to your school work...remember that word? N...O...NO! "Just say no!" I don't know what movie that quote's from, but it sounded funny in my head...I guess you had to be there...but isn't THIS insidemymind? Oh grief, too confusing. Will I see you tonight? Or Sun. morning? Either way, later,

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Luke said...

Dave,

Yeah, weren't those days nice...not much of a care in the world. It'd be nice to go back to that, but I guess we weren't of much use to the kingdom at that point...probably still aren't, but maybe a little more effective than then...I guess that tends to happen though, God gives to us, so we then have a responsibility to give back...I'm rambling now. Anyway, they were good days. Love you bro.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Luke said...

Hey mom! thanks for the compliment, however, Ben is the word magician. He does inspire me to be a little more creative with my choice of diction occasionally. Anyway, I need your guys' address. I have some stuff to send you all. Let me know. Love you,

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger BullMoose&Taft said...

Update ya wierdo!

 
At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lukester! I miss you! Plain and simple!
Here is our address:
2643 E. Del Rio St.
Gilbert AZ 85296

and since this info is now out in the open...you all are welcome to send stuff...but it has to be nice stuff! Or fan mail...which ever..
jk

Love Mom

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Luke said...

I guess it has been a couple days huh?..well then, just cause you asked so nicely Kathleen (cause wierdo is nice...) I will.

Thx for the adress mom...Is it alright if I send some stuff for David also...and can you give it to him? It might take me a couple days, but I'll send it off. Love ya.

 
At 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUKE!!! Love you!!!

Of course you can send stuff to David through me. I am writing you while dad is talking to you on the phone wishing you Happy Birthday!

Well I am going to get my share of Luke time on the phone.

Love You (again)
Mom

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger friend said...

You know what your superpower is Luke? Love, life, worship and being a friend of the people.

 
At 1:19 PM, Anonymous CYBERGOLD said...

Find out how your company rates by using a little known rating system!

Is your company a Scam, Dud, Scheme, Fraud Or Good Opportunity?.

95% of the money-making opportunities on the internet have been worked to death or are not suitable to be marketed through the internet. How does your company and/or opportunity rate… I’ll leave it to you to decide if your service, product and/or money making opportunity falls in this category.

Hurry you may NOT be happy with what you will find!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home