Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Renaissance Man

That's me...the Renaissance Man. I've always heard this described as a good thing, but I'm not so sure. Pretty much my entire life, I've always been pretty good at well, pretty much everything, however not really good at well, anything. I remember hearing the term "renaissance man" probably my freshman year in highschool in english class, and identifying with the phrase. This coming from a guy who's always been somewhat athletic, somewhat intelligent, and pretty much have this idea that I can do or learn anything as long as I put my mind to it. And that being true, I find myself involved and interested in everything in life. Even at this point, as silly as this will sound, I still have dreams and tell myself that I could feasibly go on to play professional baseball, or be a poker pro, or a firefighter, or a youth pastor, or full time missions, or worship leader, or own my own business, or make a lot of extra cash in the real estate market, or do anything that catches my attention for a little bit. And what I find myself doing is somewhat chasing all of these dreams at the same time. I was talking with my mom on the phone yesterday, and I was telling her how I am always overcommitted, and how I'd like to eventually get free from that. For one thing, committing to everything else leaves little time to develop and maintain relationships, which is a neccessity, and it also leaves little time to actually make any progress on any of these things. I've come to the conclusion that maybe they misnamed the phrase.Instead of renaissance man, it should be the "ADD man" or an indecissive man, or something of the sort. Don't worry, I'm not going back on the ADD kick again. Actually what happened with that is I went to our county psychologist, cause I thought that's what you had to do, and then he said he wasn't sure...I could or couldn't have it, and then he referred me to my doctor. Well, I went to her and she wanted to do all the tests and crap over again, and I said forget it, I didn't have the time or willingness to do it all over again. One of the guys at work laughed when I told him that, and he said "see, you do have ADD" I laughed, but don't really care at this point. I think it's more of an inability to focus on one goal that drives me crazy, not neccessarily ADD. So back to my conversation with my mom. I was telling her that Bob and I were talking the other day about how much we could do for this youth group and this town if we were to both work full time together for the church. The possibilities would be endless. It got me thinking about Jesus sending the disciples out in pairs, and how much more effective they would be that way, than doing it alone, and how that was their sole purpose. To spread the gospel. Well, when you put it like that, it makes life much easier. But here we are with this multi-purpose life. Or at least in our minds. We have to get nice houses, and have a nice family, and drive nice cars, and that's just the material side of our "needs." What if we actually lived with our main priority being to spread the gospel. What would that mean in terms of actions in our lives? We all say that God is our #1 priority, but when it comes down to the priority list, he's generally #3 or #4, in terms of what to get done.
I was looking at a friend of a friends blog, about how his hobby was to create and shape environments and events for students based on missions, culture and service. How focused is that! That's freakin awesome. If I could be focused primarily on one thing. If that could be my hobby, I think I would be a lot more effective. I told my mom this on the phone "Each person has a limited amount of resources to expend. Whether they focus them all on one place, or spread them out over 50 things, there is only so much they can put out. " I find myself in that boat, spreading my finite resources over 50 things, making me effectively ineffective at really anything. Does this make sense to anyone?

I guess this is the question. What's your purpose? And do your actions agree with your words?

8 Comments:

At 9:45 PM, Blogger FL PT said...

Hi Luke. What's this about be ineffective?? I highly doubt that you are ineffective as a soldier of God's. You live each day for Him, and thru you others see Him. Even in your small, seemingly insignificant actions, others see Him. So, you are effective (and getting better every day) at the most important job in the world!! You may not have found your "niche" yet, but you are on your way. God has placed all these interests in your heart and a lifetime to do each of them. Sounds like you are closest to the firefighter one, and very close to doing more w/ worship and missions, etc. God will open the doors when the time is perfect.

I do know how you feel...it took me a while to find my "niche". I never thought I would find it. I too was doing 50 things and not being very good at any of them, until I quit trying to find my own way and gave it all to the Lord. He just opened the door one day and I had enough sense to walk thru it. He'll do the same for you. In the meantime, keep doing what you are doing...living for Him. Wake up every morning thinking: Psalm 118:24 "This is the day the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." Everything else will fall into place soon.

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger BullMoose&Taft said...

hmm...ADD Man perhapes i should call you that instead of Pale-Skinny-White-Man. it is shorter.
Well i love books and i love being around books and i'm going to be a libraian...maybe.

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger Luke said...

Hey angie! Thanks again for the insightful wisdom. Like I said, I can always count on you for some encouraging and wise words...mostly cause they come straight from the word. That's the only way to do it though. I can't recall, or seem to find it now, but I pretty much live off that verse (I believe it's in one of the Timothy's, or Titus) where paul is saying to preach directly from the word, so no one may find fault with what you teach. Anyway, it's way past my bed time...not sure what time this will say I posted, but It's 12:02 now! Goodnight!

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger FL PT said...

NP. Glad I could help.

What are you doing up so late?

2 Tim 4:2
Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.

Is that the verse you had in mind?

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Luke said...

Not really...I ran across that looking for the one wrote about though. I remember reading it when I had just started working as the "youth pastor"...here it is...I knew it was in Titus...Titus 2:8

"Let your teaching be so correct that it can't be criticized. Then those who want to argue will be ashamed because they won't have anything bad to say about us."

This spoke to me very directly, cause like me, Titus was new in his responsiblities to the church, and here paul tells him to make his teaching above reproach, so that no one will be able use his "youth" so to speak against him. At least that's how it spoke to me. I think 2Tim 4:2 applies very much also.

Yes, I was up quite late...being bad now that I'm 21...I'll blog about it though...lol...cya angie

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger FL PT said...

Ah, yes. Titus 2:8 is a great verse...and is very applicable to you as a teacher (to us all, really b/c we are all teachers in a sense).

Isn't it amazing to read the Bible and know that it was written by our brothers and sisters via God's inspiration? I hope to meet them someday b/c I don't know where I would be if they hadn't of written down God's words for me! What a blessing.

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Luke said...

true dat!

 
At 3:44 AM, Blogger friend said...

Luke you are a blogging fiend and your writing style is coming out more and more....just another one of your 50 talents I suppose.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home