Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Brand New Day

I guess this will be one of those posts where I'm not sure what to write...I will probably describe some of the things that happened at Oasis over the weekend, but since I've told that story like 20 times already, I'm kinda weary of it...although it's still good. However, I did get some news last night from a friend that completely broke my heart...it involved some of our youth saying some things (jokingly in their mind), but they hurt someone pretty bad anyway...I was told this person would no longer come back because of the things said...

It wasn't even more than a week ago that our verse of the day came from James 1:26
"If you claim to be religious but don't control your tongue, you are just fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless."

And James 3:2-11
"We all make mistakes, but those who control their tongues can also control themselves in every other way. We can make a large horse turn around and go wherever we want by means of a small bit in its mouth. And a tiny rudder makes a huge ship turn wherever the pilot wants it to go, even though the winds are strong. So also, the tongue is a small thing, but what enourmous damage it can do. A tiny spark can set a great forest on fire. And the tongue is a flame of fire. It is full of wickedness that can ruin your whole life. It can turn the entire course of your life into a blazing flame of destruction, for it is set on fire by hell itself.
People can tame all kinds of animals and brids and reptiles and fish, but no one can tame the tongue. It is an uncontrollable evil, full of deadly poison. Sometimes it praises our Lord and Father, and sometimes it breaks out into curses against those who have been made in the image of God. And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely my brothers and sisters, this is not right!"

I woke up this morning, and had a strong sense from God saying "My mercies are new every morning" That comes straight out of Lamentations 3:23 "Great is His faithfulness; His mercies are new every morning" I thought this sorta strange cause I guess one would normally get this sense after a seemingly rough day, and that wasn't the case...then I realized this wasn't necessarily for me. I am upset about what happened, and dissapointed, and extremely saddened, so just think about how much more this is heartbreaking to God. Listen to this...YOUR WORDS ARE VERY POWERFUL! I have warned some of you about this before, but now you can see it first hand. I am not sure what will happen in this situation, but there are ETERNAL consequences to our actions...think about that. Your words could have consequences on someone else eternally...they don't just effect you.
So, as disheartening as this news was, to hear God speak "My mercies are new every day"...in essence...You goofed it up yesterday, but that day is gone. Live today right. That doesn't mean you won't see the consequences of yesterdays actions (and yes, we will discuss that once I get ALL the facts), but it means that God is giving you a fresh start. And it's a good thing for all of us that he does, but that is no excuse to just say who cares then...if I'm going to screw it up, and He'll forgive me anyway, why try? Paul says in Romans 6:15-23 "So since God's grace has set us free from the law, does this mean we can go on sinning? Of course not! Don't you realize that whatever you choose to obey becomes your master? You can choose sin, which leads to death, or you can choose to obey God and receive his apporval. Thank God! ONCE YOU WERE SLAVES OF SIN, but now you have obeyed with all your heart the new teaching God has given you. Now you are free from sin, your old master, and you have become slaves to your new master, righteousness.
I speak this way, using the illustration of slaves and masters, because it is easy to understand. Before, you let yourselves be lsaves of impurity and lawlesness. NOW YOU MUST CHOOSE TO BE SLAVES OF RIGHTEOUSNESS so that you will become holy.
In those days, when you were slaves of sin, you weren't concerned with doing what was right. And what was the result? It was not good, since now you are ashamed of the things you used to do, things that end in eternal doom. But now you are free from the power of sin and have become slaves of God. Now you do those things that lead to holiness and result in eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord."


I hope you guys understand this. I think paul puts it pretty plainly.
Throughout all of this we are told to controll our tongues, and no, it won't be easy. However, the more you focus on God and the spirit (ROM 8:5-7 "Those who are dominated by the sinful nature think about sinful things, but those of you who are controlled by the Holy Spirit think about things that please the Spirit. If your sinful nature controlls your mind, there is death. But if the Holy Spirit controls your mind, there is life and peace. For the sinful nature is always hostile to God. It never did obey God's laws, and it never will."), the easier it becomes...and guess what...You have to make the choice to become a slave to righteousness, to the spirit, and to God. You can't be a slave to both. Our words can be used for God's purposes, to build eachother up and encourage one another and preach the good news, or they can be used for the Devils purposes, to steal, kill, and destroy. When you look at it like that, it makes you think much harder about what purpose your words are serving.

4 Comments:

At 3:50 PM, Blogger friend said...

First off..wise admonitions to us all...myself the chief of sinners.

Next...what an amazing background and set of colors blasting from your site.

Beware! It is not too hip to be so partiotic looking though...it might be considered idolotrous to those in the church who feel no admiration for man-made institutions that they consider are from the devil.

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Luke said...

Thanks for the advice on the colors Ben...I won't go into what I think of what they think...lol...Anyway, I commented on Obe's post about halloween in your comment about speech...I'm curious as to what you think...I'll see if you've responded there. Love ya man...

And oh, you can't be the chief of sinners, cause I already hold that title. You'll have to fight for it back.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Jac said...

This is really good Luke. Good advice, a good exhortation that is firm and truthful yet done in a loving way.

 
At 8:07 AM, Blogger BullMoose&Taft said...

I think last night was exactly what they needed. a few of our youth would let their tongues run with them and i personally know that i let my tongue grow saracastic or bitter that only hurts and doesn't heal or proclaim God's love. I think everyone really needed that dude. Thanks. AND YOUR SITE IS WAYFREAKINCOOL!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home