Thursday, November 17, 2005

Rom. 8:7

Yeah, so I was talking with my brothers the other day, and got pretty sad. Micah and Chrissy leave for Ecuador on Dec. 1st for 3 months, and then they come back for six months to have the baby and sell everything, and then they go back to Manta to stay and live and to plant a church. Then, I was talking to David, and he was again sharing his desire for missions, and how the only thing really holding him back is insurance so he can get his medication and stuff. And although this may be holding him back for now (which is no doubt God waiting on the perfect timing), I have no doubt that God will grant his wish to preach the gospel in foreign lands. He was saying how he really has a burden for the people in Indonesia, and how needed the Gospel is there, and how Christians are being persecuted there and killed, but he's not worried cause God will take care of him, and how he wants to go there and see the dead brought back to life, and thousands of people saved because this girl they just beheaded for being a christian is walking around again preaching about Jesus and all. I thought it was a great desire and all, but really, I don't want any of my family to go anywhere. I remember when my parents went to Iraq...I was pretty worried about them. Yeah, I trusted God to take care of them, and He did, but it's still kinda freaky. They will continue to do short term missions like Iraq and Afghanistan and other places, and my other brothers will be off doing their things and preaching the Gospel and all. And yes, I'm glad for them and excited to see God use this whole family for his kingdom and his purpose, I just worry something might happen to them.
See, for me, I really wouldn't care if I went off somewhere and got killed for preaching about Jesus, but that's cause I'm not scared to die, and I know exactly what God has waiting for me on the other side, but it's just not that simple when it's your family instead. Well, I guess it is though. They have the same things waiting for them, if not better. I was reading Romans 8, and had been thinking about the snow the other day. You see, the snow is very pretty. Beautiful in fact! It's soft and pure and not one flake is or ever will be just like another. In all that beauty and amazement though, I was reminded of how cold it was too. It's the same thing with God. "And since we are his children, we will share his treasures---for everything God gives to his Son, Christ, is ours too. But if we are to share his glory, we must also share his suffering."
If my parents and brothers and sisters are to go off and die for the sake of the Cross, that simply means that they will share in an even greater amount of God's glory. But yes, in sharing Christs' glory, we must also share in his suffering.

Take into consideration what that might look like in your life. It doesn't always mean we have to become martyrs. Sometimes it's harder to live for Jesus than it would be to die. Phil. 1:21 "For me, to live is Christ and to die is gain."

6 Comments:

At 11:58 AM, Blogger Lifeguard said...

That is really cool man. I haven't even seen your brothers yet and I would like to because they seem to be pretty cool guys. I do to worry about my family when they leave to go somewhere. My brother left to go to college and I didn't think I would ever see him again, but I did so it was sure calming me down.
Nice post man and I will see you this Saturday... hopefully

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Aley said...

Sounds like you're pretty torn. On the one hand I assume your brothers are really excited about their mission work and the work they want to do for God, and you want to be excited for them, and are to an extent. However, you're worried about their safety and what will happen to them when they go. Quite the delima. I always say, don't worry about things you can't control. Obviously you can't control your brothers' leaving and wouldn't even if you could, but I know that really doesn't help much. We're here for you Luke, and you know one evening with "the gang" and you will be completely cheered up. It's impossible not to feel better after hanging out with us! I'll put you and your family in my prayers. Peace out yo.
Aley

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Luke said...

Yeah buddy! 1 O' CLOCK! Are You Ready for some Football?!

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Luke said...

Thanks Aley! That's crazy, you must've posted that comment right before my reply to Cody...to funny! Anyway, I appreciate the prayers. I do worry about them a bit, but I understand what and why they do what they do, and no, I wouldn't change it if I could. I love my family tons, and I know that God watches over them, and has great things planned for them and their part in His kingdom. I'll see you sun?

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger BullMoose&Taft said...

I can understand the fear of them going off and getting hurt. My dad went away alot for his job while we were in Ecuador. He went to all kinds of troubled places and he would be gone sometimes when strikes were happing and i would miss him so bad that i would just go home and cry. But he always came home safe. So God was totally looking out for him. And God has all of your family and you in his hands and nothing but whats best will come from it all, even if we don't see it that way.
peace out hommie,
and most defently we must play cards, i think this is the only night besides sun where i am free.
ttyl

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger friend said...

Sweet stuff Luke.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home