Friday, December 16, 2005

Jesus Take the Wheel

So lets see...

It was Tuesday. I was at work, and it had been a rather busy day. The snow had melted a couple days prior, so everyone was back to their insane selves driving like 15 over the speed limit, ignoring all warnings on the news etc, that the roads were slick today. So, I spent most of that day (and night!) cautiously extricating retarded people from their crunched up vehicles, and putting them on extremely cold, hard, and uncomfortable long plastic spineboards. So it's getting close to 6:30 am, time for me to rouse my self from a quite unpleasant 90 min's of sleep and get ready for shift change, when there it goes again. Beep beep beep beep beep..."9101...Traffic accident 20th and LeCompton...". Blah blah blah, as I wipe what small crusties that had formed on the bags on my eyes in the hour and a half I had to sleep. I threw on my boots and coat, and stumbled my way down the stairs to our ambulance. "Fire Control, Medic 1 in route." As we rumbled down the road in our 6 ton rig with lights flashing and sirens blaring, dispatch came back over the radio and told us to use caution as the roads were slick. Usually, these reports come from the fire dept. who arrives on scene before we do, and they relay it to dispatch and dispatch to us. I thought to myself. "The roads look fine, I'm in a 12,000 pound vehicle, It'll be fine," not thinking that this came from the Fire crew who drives a 12 ton engine...what can I say, it was early. So anyway, we come over the big hill on 20th, and see fire trucks and cop cars everywhere, and the two vehicles that had collided and skidded their way over onto the sidewalk. I started to put on my breaks to slow down as we came up to the scene, and I looked for the closest place to park without putting us over the leaking fluids from the wreckage (yes, an ambulance flying 30' in the air cause someone threw a cigarette on the ground in gasoline which is under the rig would look cool, but it's not good for me). As I attempted this, I found that yes indeed, the roads were slick, and I should've headed the warning...then BAM!!!

No, not really, I started stopping way before that. I did feel our truck get a little loose footing though, and managed to park it in a safe place. I hopped out of the ambulance, now much more awake than before, and grabbed a spinebag and board and walked over towards the chaos. All was fine. Two patient refusals, and we packaged one lady up and took her to the hospital. Just another car wreck.

Well, I finally make it home. It's now around 8:45 cause we caught the late call, and I have to be at the church at 10 to help with some thing or another, not really sure what, so I go home, grab a guitar I have to take to the shop and some deoderant,and start heading to the church. I wasn't more than two blocks away, over on 15th street "slowly" making my way to the church, when suddenly my front end starts to spin to the left aiming for the ditch (in KS, no roads are flat on the edges, they all lead to ditches or walls...not sure why), and I'm thinking "ah crap...sigh," being I was too tired to really freak, then my rear wheels bight, I gently correct the direction of my spin, and I'm back on the road.

Well, as all that happened, I was reminded of a new country song out by some chick called "Jesus take the wheel." It's about a girl and her baby in the car on the way to her parents when she loses control and spins out, and then the chorus.

Jesus take the wheel
Take it from my hands
Cause I can't do it on my own
I'm letting go
So give me one more chance
Save me from this road I'm on

Jesus take the wheel

It was a rather rude awakening to what had been going on with me for the last 4 days. I had been sick for three of them, and tired and busy, and for four days, hadn't spent any time at all reading God's word, or praying, or anything. I kept pushing on to the next thing thinking I'll spend time with God tomorrow. Well, I finally figured out that in 4 days, I had wandered seemingly a long ways from where I wanted to be, and I wanted to get back into that close fellowship, but I was too tired, and didn't feel like doing it.

Then this happens, and at the same time I had been thinking about this analogy of what it meant to give things to God. I had been playing this game called conquest on my computer (it's basically RISK), and you build up armies and try and dominate the world. For some reason this tied into my thinking about giving things up, and I found that sometimes what you have to do is run from whatever battle your fighting and simply focus on the Father, and then he comes in with the big guns and takes care of the battle for you...Let me try to explain this. Some of the strategy in RISK is making sure you don't spread yourself too thin. If you do, your lines will be broken, and there is nothing to protect the inside of your territories. So, you have to focus your troops in one area and let the other players duke it out and thin themselves out, then you go and conquer the world. Well, it's the same here. Your one battlefront, the place where you focus your attention is on your relationship with God, and then he goes and takes care of the other battles for you. Not that it's easy, or it even looks like you'll be victorious all the time, but it's the truth.

So, I learned my lesson, and asked God that the next time he'd like to get my attention, I'd appreciate it if he did it without me having to clean my drawers.

8 Comments:

At 1:25 PM, Blogger Jac said...

the song is by American Idol winnder Carrie Underwood, just in case you were wondering :) Glad to know you're ok- take it easy on those roads and be careful! we all want you coming back to AZ in one peice!

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Luke said...

LOL! You're too funny J! Hey, we're doing our worship night/Worship Gathering thing tonight. I'm here at the church setting up right now. I'm totally stoked. Even when we were practicing, God was right there with us, and I totally got lost. And we've got some really great idea's on how to "re-arrange" stuff for the night, and it looks awesome! It's cool too though, cause I am not a very creative person, so to see all this happens just brings even more glory to God. I'm really praying that regardless of how many people show up tonight, God would show up, and we would be blown away by his presence. I'd appreciate it if you'd do the same. Thanks a ton.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Sheeztrue said...

Good word Luke and I love the new video...just about made me cry.
Thanks for the new one. :)

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger friend said...

ive been playing conquest online with kim g and kevin lott

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger You Know What Im Sayin? said...

YO Man thanks fur comin to mi burthday party for a while you missed out on a lot of stuff but it was fun while you were there!!

Hayden foshizzle in the hizzle from the drizzle to my hizzle! Foshizzle man?

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger FL PT said...

Wow Luke...you have been busy. I can't imagine the scenes you have seen, being in the line of work you are in. Just reading about it is humbling to me.

Be safe out there saving people ok?

 
At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Grace said...

I just got around to reading this and it reminds me... I almost died while I was driving today.. well not died but there was mucho sliding and scaryishness.

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Luke said...

What happened Grace?

Hayden, no prob man. I'm glad you had a good one.

Angie, a couple more days, yeah!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home