Sunday, December 18, 2005

Snow and Job Security

As long as it snows, I will never have to worry about losing my job. Reason being, some people still don't know how to drive, or even walk, on it.

Our first call of the day was to a heavyset 50+ yr. old woman who went out to check the mail in what looked like a little kids pair of old, plastic, clog/sandal things (you know the kind, 3" of smooth rubber underneath her feet, and strap holding them to her feet), when she slipped on her steps that were covered in 3" of fresh laid snow.

Well, imagine that! Lesson #1. Don't walk out in the snow wearing innapropriate footwear, and then complain when you fall on your butt and hurt yourself! If you can't tell, I wasn't very sympathetic. She just sat there, not moving a thing, crying in the snow. She hurt her hip, not her back or neck or anything like that...oh, I wasn't happy with this woman. So, we had to get the scoop stretcher and get her on it, and she just kept crying...boo hoo (sarcasm and apathy). Then, we got her in the back, and we had to look at her hip for any obvious difformity to see if she broke it or anything, and she's like "Sob sob...I don't have any underwear on...sob sob" OK, first off, it's not like we've never seen any of that before, but that doesn't mean I want to either. Then she was complaining about how she couldn't afford this and all that, and now I'm thinking "Dangit woman! You shoulda thought of all this before you went out parading in the snow with kids sandals, no underwear, and no money!" She'll think about it next time...well, maybe not. Oh well, I guess they keep EMS rolling.


We ended up running all night and day, as it's been for the past 3 weeks, medicals, mva's, whatever, but this next one was cool!

So we get toned out for mutual aid with South Platte County across the bridge (in MO) for a rollover accident. Well, dispatch said the person was out of the car, and generally when that happens, they call back and say they don't need an ambulance, but we were on our way regardless until we hear otherwise. When we finally pull up, I see cars all over the side of the road, but they're all on four wheels, so I'm a little confused, then I look down to the bottom of the 30' embakement sloped at probably 70 Degrees off to the right and see an SUV turned over on it's side. We get out, and people start yelling. So we ask, who's hurt? They say there's a man and a baby that were in the car up in one of the cars on the side of the road, and still one woman trapped in the car. So my partner says, "I'll check Dad and the baby, you climb down the 30' snow covered hill, and crawl in the mangled vehicle trying to help while I stay warm." Well, maybe that's not exactly what she said, but that's what happened.
So, I get down to the bottom with my spinebag, and find a woman in her 30's crawled up in a ball on the driver side window (or where it would've been), complaining of neck pain at 8 of ten, and even the slightest, I mean slightest move, made her scream bloody murder. So I climb in the rear entrance of the car, get a collar on her and check her pulses and motory function (basically all I could do with her in that position), and start looking for a way to get her out of the vehicle. I'm looking at how she is, the seats, everything around us, and taking into consideration the fact I think she has a C7 fracture and don't want to move her at all, and finally decide that we'll have to get the Fire Dept. to cut her out (not cut her, the car around her). One guy tells me the truck is 5 min's out, so I sit there with her finding out what happened, if she lost consciousness, airbags, seatbelts, etc...waiting for them to get here. They finally arrive and tumble down the hill, and ask how I'd like to get her out. I told them about the suspected fracture, and how moving out the back (where I came in) was not an option, and they'd have to cut her out. They kept asking if I was sure and saying they thought they could move her here and there etc...and I'm like "NO. We're not moving her anywhere. She can wiggle fingers and toes right now, and I'd like to keep it that way." So fire tosses a blanket in to me, and I drape it over the patient and myself to cover us from shards of metal, and sparks, etc..., and they begin to cut with the sawzaw. Mind you, at this point, I can't see anything but the patient. My legs are cold and cramping from being in an awkward position, my ears hurt because the vibrations from the saw were hurting her neck, so she's screaming right in my ears, I have no idea where this saw is at in relation to me, and then I feel someone reach their hand in, feel my head, and say "uh, could you move your head back some?" I'm thinking great, they're cutting blind, and all it would take is the blade to jump, and I could be maimed. I really didn't have any room to move back, but you can bet I made some! Well, the sawzaw kept catching and freezing up, so they went and got the big chop saw, which has kind of a circular cutting blade, and they begin to use this. Now the chop saw is MUCH sharper, and MUCH bigger, and makes VERY big sparks, so they get going with this, and all I can hear is ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, and really, really big sparks begin flying everywhere landing on this 100% cotton blanket that was covering us up, and I'm thinking "I really hope this blanket doesn't catch on fire with us in here." Finally, all the noise stops, someone pulls the blanket off our heads, and then I have to hand c-spine over to someone else, gently crawl over her and straddle the steering wheel, so we can maintain neutral inline mobilization, but we still had to free her feet up, so we pick her up from there (oh, we did place a ked board in to help maintain c-spine), free the feet, and get her out. We get her all strapped down, except the head, and their head straps aren't working, so I go to my bag, and grab our headbed tape. It's a big blue piece of something like duct tape that is supposed to go around the collar and to the board, but this dude, before I had a chance to say anything, just takes it and slaps it across her forhead right on top of her eyebrows, and I'm thinking "Dough! I guess she didn't really need her eyebrows anyway huh?" At this time, she can still move her fingers and toes, which is a good thing, and then the bright firefighters all grabbed a corner of the board and pretty much run up the hill with her. The people up top (including my partner who now was just watching the show, I guess she, the medic, didn't feel any need to help) had thrown down 3 ropes. One to tie to the board, and two for each side of people holding the board to hold onto so they didn't slip. Well, I guess they didn't want to use this, so I'm trying to support one of the firefighters running up the hill, so he doesn't fall, and wipe out and slide down the hill, making me look like a large powdered donut.
So, that was that, we transferred care to MAST ambulances, and then booked it back to KS for another call. It was a blast though, and thank God the patient and I didn't get cut up by saws, or burnt alive in the car, and she could still move all extremeties...that was a plus. But that wreck made my day. I love stuff like that! Oh, I can't wait to get into firefighting!

I have my written test on Tues for the Leavenworth Fire Dept. I looked at the study guide, and am confident I'll do well, but without God's blessing and approval, it'll probably be the same thing that happened in Tempe. I do everything I can to put me in the best position possible, but if he says no, it's a no go. Fair enough.


The worship night went pretty well on Fri. We didn't have too many people show up, but it was still an awesome time of worship and felloship regardless. We'll probably do another one in Feb., and then one in April, and then see about doing it once a month after that.

That's all the updates. Love you guys, and keep seeking after God. Don't let your walk get complacent. And please pray for my fire app here.

Luke.

7 Comments:

At 10:04 PM, Blogger CleanSlate said...

well...thats facsinating...I wouldn't have been able to do it. I'm just not a very good people person. But ohwell.

Oh before i forget you have no soul.

-kat

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger FL PT said...

Hey Luke,
Thank God for people like you who are able to climb down trenches and crunched vehicles to take care of those who can't take care of themselves.

I'll pray for your exam on Tuesday. May God's will be done.

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Wow Luke, reading that was very entertaining. Haha, Kept me reading. Can't wait for your next entry.
~Peace~

 
At 1:10 AM, Blogger David Killough said...

Hey Bro! If things don't work out I'm gonna need a room mate sometime between end of Feb. and sometime in April. My buddy accepted a position back in S. Carolina and I would really love to have you back. It's a nice place, location, and rent is reasonable too. And you know Tempe wants you bad. BTW-Pray for Steve's shoulder. He had orth. surgery on it recently because it was giving him a lot of pain. Shaved of some of his clavicle, picked out some bone, and cartlidge. Pray for 100% healing and mobility. Love ya!

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger Sheeztrue said...

Wow Luke keep telling us of your adventures...they are so interesting. I must say got a little worried when reading of that saw so close to your head! And you know me I don't scare much.
Ya your long post was so short because it was so interesting... I can see it now the short stories of a fire fighter...lol. Tried to call you today so Dad could say hi but you were MIA. ;)
Love you! Keep up the good work...
"side not from Mom...remember Jesus loves EVERYONE...even those who do not use their head... & you are his Rep.
Big HUG Mom

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Luke said...

lol...thanks for the reminder mom.

Dave...not really thinking that's going to happen yet. Maybe in time. I still desperately want to work for Tempe, but in God's timing. I will absolutely keep Steve in prayer...I'll have to give him a call, haven't talked to him in a while.

Sarah...I think your stories are more interesting.

Kat & Ang - It's not really like it's some big sacrifice like most people think...actually, I'd say firefighters are pretty selfsish people...we are all adrenaline junkies getting paid to do what we love. That call made my day.

I appreciate the prayers. May God's will be done.

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger xfevv said...

Did you ever know that you're my hero!!! J/K Love ya man

 

Post a Comment

<< Home