Thursday, December 01, 2005

Understanding

Ok, in line with my message last night, I am "straining" to understand more as I read. I was listening to a Mars Hill sermon on studying the Bible a while ago, and the guy said he got saved, and then asked the pastor what to do then. He said "read the Bible till you understand it, and do that till you die." Pretty powerful. It really revolutionized how I read the Bible.

So, in line with that, I have a folder labeled "bible study" on my desktop, and I open it up when I'm reading, and write down notes as I go through various sections of scripture. (In case you find this inspirational or something I'll explain how it works for me) So, I start off reading the section I'm going to go through...IE 1 John, and I read through and highlite or underline in my bible, verses that stick out to me and have significant meaning, and I do that until I'm finished with the section...IE ch's 1-3 or something...Then, I go back through and re-read slower attempting to disect the verses, while reading the footnotes and study sections below in my bible, and contemplating deeper meaning in the said verses. As I go through this, I write down on my doc. particulary interesting verses, and any deeper meanings I may get from it...

And I do that till I die...

Well, or at least until I forget one day, and then another...but hopefully that won't be the case.

I think it will also help me with my messages and lessons for youth. Although, I'm not sure they really hear anything that comes out of my mouth when it comes to that time...Seriously though. Last night was one of my more passionate, well articulated messages, and I'm not sure anyone got anything from it. That's the funny thing about youth ministry. When it's all said and done, no one will remember anything you said, but they'll remember everything you did. The small things. Investing in their lives, small personal talks, playing four wheeler tag, how you respond to criticism or other bloggers attempting to be obnoxious. I know they do take some things from it, even though they'll never remember that you said, but hopefully it will translate into action in their lives.

I think about it...maybe some of our "lessons" have impacted their lives...let's see...Lessons I hope have impacted them...
hmmmm....well there was...ummm...

Shoot. I can't even remember most of them, and they were my lessons! I guess that means I can't blame them for not remembering.
I guess I remember talking about the power of words for both good and bad, and some other stuff. But hopefully, they will remember some of the things we've stressed.

Those being that it's crucial to your spiritual life to spend time reading God's word and praying. And that worship is a matter of the heart, and a lifestyle, not just songs. And that God listens to us, and also speaks to us! And the importance of a good strong sense of community and relationships with other believers (I know they got that one!), and hopefully they have come to understand in a small way how much God truly loves them, and how nothing we ever do can separate us from that love. And maybe they've learned how to present the gospel to someone, and hopefully in a non-threating way. And I pray that they've learned to love one another, and from that learn to love everyone (definetly still working on that one). And also that if they put God #1 in their lives, everything else will work out. And that God has a plan for them, and good things await them if they seek after Him. And that true faith is evidenced by fruit and actions in our lives. And did I mention that GOD loves THEM and they are so extremely valuable and important to Him. And that sometimes living for God isn't always easy, but it's always worth it. And how to break through the spiritual highs into a spiritual life. And above all of these things. I pray,... that more than anything I've spoken,...that they would come to know God's love, and that my actions here have spoken much louder than any sermon or message or lesson or whatever I may ever speak.

Lord let it be. Pour your love into the lives of these youth. That they would come to know you and love you with a passion they cannot even begin to imagine. And God, from there, I ask that you would take care of the rest. Amen.

9 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, Blogger friend said...

Amen - and if you have a folder on your desktop it might as well be a blog where people can lurk and you can have it archived. Time for a second blog luke...I only have like 68 or something.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger T_Griff said...

I remember wut yur lesson was about, Luke. It was about spiritual highs and that they're not everything God has for us. like youth camps and all that stuff is great, but if it was all that god had for us in this life, we wouldn't need to read the bible, or pray, or fellowship...we'd always be in a spiritual high...
...or something like that.
Even if we don't remember EVERYTHING you say, we appreciate it all the same. and just hanging out w/ you has had a huge impact on my life.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger T_Griff said...

I remember wut yur lesson was about, Luke. It was about spiritual highs and that they're not everything God has for us. like youth camps and all that stuff is great, but if it was all that god had for us in this life, we wouldn't need to read the bible, or pray, or fellowship...we'd always be in a spiritual high...
...or something like that.
Even if we don't remember EVERYTHING you say, we appreciate it all the same. and just hanging out w/ you has had a huge impact on my life.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger T_Griff said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Luke said...

Thanks Tim. I appreciate knowing you listen.

Ben...I'm not sure if I really want to do that...
It's kinda nice having some parts of life not necesarilly open and out there on the web...plus, this way it will still be new for the youth when I use it...hmmm...
Maybe there's a way to blog it, but without them being able to see it.??? I'll have to contemplate that.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger CleanSlate said...

doubt it.

ANywho, i remember your lessons, well some of them...Hey i remembered the whole army illistration! gotta give me credit seeing as that was years ago!
-kat

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Luke said...

Yeah, that was pretty slick.

 
At 12:40 AM, Anonymous Tim said...

Don't quickly dismiss the idea that no one is listening to what you have to say. I was one of the jr. highers that everyone probably thought was disinterested in what was being discussed, but on the inside I was really intently listening. The fruit of their words came about in my life many years later.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Luke said...

Thanks Tim. I guess I was much the same way myself...funny huh? Great site. I'm totally gonna link you, and steal some of your links for our youth blog. Rock on brotha.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home