Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Life and all it's wonderful business

Hey all! Yeah, yeah, yeah...been a while...I know...but other than Ben, the rest of you do this too occasionally! lol...anyway...what's happenin in KS??? Good question...

Well, as most of you know, I've been looking at buying a house recently, and had some frustrations with finding just the right place, and the right price, and all that...well, here's some recent updates on that. I'm actually looking at buying a small apartment building instead...either that or a duplex. I think I'd prefer the apt. building, but I'm looking at a lot of different options. I'm going with the McKinney's to look at a building today with 5 units (2-2bd, 2-1bd, and one eff...I'm not sure what an eff is...) Well, most of these buildings and duplex's are cheaper than a house, and here's how it works out for me. I've spoken with Eric, Chris, and heard that Jason's sister would all like to rent from me if I buy a building. Well, out of 5 units, that's 3 renters that I know and trust, and hopefully we can all help eachother out. From there, it's just filling in the holes. Eric and I will most likely share a place until next Aug, which brings me to my next topic...The Internship! (and when I move out, he can fill that with a wife if he ever gets married! Not that he is...just saying, if he ever did...)

Bob and I had proposed to Dave a while back, that we run an internship at the church, and take one of the top rooms and turn it into a dorm. With this, you can have one or two people living at the church, working the coffeeshop/bookstore, working as youth and worship pastors, doing VLI, and doing whatever else needs to be done. Well, the board agreed on it, and now are slowly taking the steps to put this in place. This will begin in Aug. Well, I wasn't sure for a bit if I was going to do this after all, because I'd just been too busy, and was deathly afraid of throwing VLI on top of all the other responsibilities I already had. Well, I came to a decision on Sun., and let Dave and Bob know that I am going to do the internship and VLI, and I'll just have to count on God's goodness and grace to remain sane, and to also give me favor at work.

I have an incredible opportunity to really learn a lot and progress in the fire service through the Leavenworth Fire Dept. They are willing to send me all over to get training, and promote people who are willing to work hard and get an education. In fact, this Fri, Sat, Sun, I will be in Topeka attending and Intro to Tech Rescue course that entails rope rescue, water rescue, etc...it's only a beginners course, but it's a start, and the more I learn, the farther I can go.

The thing is, for a while, I wasn't sure if I wanted to do the internship and VLI, or take this next year, finish my degree, and take as many fire courses as I could (Fire behavior, Fire ground tactics, arson investigation, etc...) Well, I decided to do VLI and the internship, and at the same time do this next thing...

I spoke with a couple good friends of mine who help teach EMT labs over at KCK community college, and asked about whether they need help or not. Well, they said they believe they do, and they'd talk to the head lady for me, and get me some paperwork. The reason I was interested in this is because if I do this, I get free tuition, and it's only 1-4x's a month, and a couple hrs a day. And there's no preparation involved. It's simply helping students work through their EMT skills, and making sure they're prepared for their boards. Well, I found out that this pays as well! I thought it was vol. with free tuition, well, it pays $9 an hr., which isn't bad considering...and I was kinda looking for a source of some additional income, as small as it may be.

Oh, one other thing is that a buddy of mine was playing down at one of the irish pubs/restaraunt the other day, and I went down to watch...well, about 1 am, he ran out of stuff to play, and the only people left in the bar were friends of ours, so he let me play and sing. It went great! Everybody loved it...it may have been because they were all slammed by then...lol...but really, it went well, and they generally pay about $65 for a couple hrs of music, and that'd just be fun for me...so I'm going to see if I couldn't do that once a month or so as well.

So anyway, those things sorta solve the additional income I was looking for, and I will still be able to take probably 1 class a semester towards my degree and fire stuff, take VLI, and get some additional income here and there.

I know...it sounds like a lot, but the good thing is that all of those things (EXCEPT FOR the internship and VLI) are only once a month or so, which I think I can handle. There will most likely be some other changes as well that might free up some time for me, but those are still in discussion, and I won't know for a little while at least. So, like I said, I will need a heavy dose of God's grace as I try and handle all these things, and also his favor on me at work as I put the internship and ministry above my education and career at this moment. So, that's what's new here...

Things to pray for...
God's grace...
God's favor...
Opportunities to play and sing somewhere once a month...
Wisdom in dealing with people, property, and finances...
And even more of heart to know Him deeper...

3 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, Blogger friend said...

Luke's back - sort of. A few blogs anyways. So, I keep trying to call ya - and it sound like you got enough on your plate. so I can't probably coax you to come lead worship at Amadeo eh? that;s alright - I'll pray for you and you pray for me- I love ya man.

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Luke said...

sounds good Ben! I wish I could...that would be awesome, but I am kinda busy here. I'll call you back sometime...
Love ya brother.

 
At 12:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just readin after awhile...and tryin to keep up with ya. Can't get you on the phone. Love you! Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home