Friday, June 23, 2006

Body piercing and the occasional beer

Today's been another grand day. I really am loving living down at the church. Being downtown just gives me so much more exposure to people I never would have had. That park bench is the best!

I didn't have any particularly interesting bench stories today, but I didn't get to spend too much time there today. I woke up, went to lift with a good buddy of mine, and then went to lunch with some friends at applebees. I put on a shirt I "borrowed" from Micah a long time ago, but I guess he's come to notice that I haven't returned it yet. Maybe someday. Anyway, it's the shirt that says "Body piercing saved my life" and then on the back has a picture of two hands with scars in the middle. Yes, before you all get huffety, I realize they most likely put the nails through Jesus' wrists, but you should still get the point. So, I got some interesting looks at the gym, but nothing to bad, and then at Applebees, it seemed like the waitress was being sorta OVERLY kind. Maybe she just wanted a good tip...and she got one...she was very good. Well, I better move on before you all get the wrong impression...

Eventually, I made it back to the church, and started getting ready for tonight. We have "Deeper Life" on Thurs. nights, and I wanted to spend a little extra time praying and reading to prepare, so I did. I didn't go out on the park bench, cause I most likely would've got some VERY strange looks being down on my knees in the middle of downtown leavenworth praying, so I stayed inside and played some worship music through the mains. It was only Kathleen and Sean and I, but just like last week, was most excellent. I got to spend some time talking and praying with my buddy sean, and just like with JC, was very good. I know only a couple kids have been able to make it, but it's been some of the most spiritually progressive times we've had in a while, and "I'm lovin it."

I actually took Sean and Kathleen out to my bench to sit and read and relax a bit, when shortly after I got a call for a fire alarm out in the county. So, I hurried them along to get their stuff so I could lock the church and go. It ended up being a false alarm, but I got on the report which I've been too busy to do recently. Afterwards I went to Applebees again to meet a friend at the bar, and have a beer, some nachos, and some good conversation. We weren't sitting there more than 5 min's when a heard of girls came wandering in and sat at the other side of the bar. Immediately, one of them stared and then pointed at me, and I saw her mouth "he's drinking a beer." I couldn't help but chuckle, and simply continued to smile and talk with my friend. I don't know if she read the shirt, or she knew me from somewhere, but she sure didn't look familiar. Well, she kept staring for quite some time, and I just kept smiling. Her friend came over a couple min's later and talked to my buddy, who she knew, and I said hi and introduced myself, but I still can't figure out why the other girl was staring. Maybe it's cause I hadn't combed my hair all day, and I really don't look like I'm 21, or maybe it was the shirt, or whatever. I was hoping to go over and say hi, but I was somewhat afraid she might think I was hitting on her, and also, they left before I really had the chance. It was interesting though, sitting at the bar that is. I could hear the conversations of all the people around me, I could see their intention at being there, and it felt like I was there, but I wasn't. Like I could almost see the spiritual side of things, and these people had no clue. I just sat there quietly, sipped my beer, ate my nachos, and talked with God while my buddy talked with some other friends. I must've looked quite strange sitting there with my hair hainging down uncombed, my shirt that says body piercing saved my life (when I obviously have no piercings), and my sly grin on my face that says God is good, and all is well...or at least that's what it says to me...

Well, whatever that blurb was all about, it was hopefully a small recap of the day, but also a sign that it's late, I'm tired, and I have to get up in like 5 1/2 hrs. So to all a good night, and God Bless.

LK

12 Comments:

At 1:38 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

wow Pooch, seems like you have been busy lately. I wish I had my very own bench, maybe I will get lucky like you. And whats with you drinking beer? Thats discusting stuff! Not that I know or anything..... lol. Sweet, you heading here huh? Hope to catch you around, seems like I am going out of a town a few times while your here, maybe we will run into eachother.
Peace dizawg

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger xfevv said...

Good stuff. Love ya bro. Looking forward to seeing you when you get into town. Alos just figured I would rub it in, Lambet Lo is in town and comming out to lead worship at church on Sat and Sunday. Ha HA

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger friend said...

llove you man

 
At 1:11 AM, Anonymous grace said...

it was the shirt

generally I would say people should be more careful about what they are doing if they are wearing something like that but...

you gotta do what you gotta do i guess

Just don't misrepresent yourself

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Luke said...

Hey all, I definately look forward to seeing everyone as well. BEEN WAY TOO LONG! It's all good though.

Grace, I think she was just trying to get a good tip, and she was a good waiter...and the looks I was getting from the other girls were not nice looks, lest you be deceived...lol

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger CleanSlate said...

Ok luke the waitress was MARRIED!! and has TWO kids. Why do i know this? Because i know her. She's a friend of Charity's. Anywho... Thanks for calling the other day and letting us know you weren't going to come to dinner and see Angie off since she left. It was soooo kind of you to let us know so that we weren't expecting you so we didn't have to wait, not that we would have anyways. (i hope you noted the saracasm.)
-kat

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger FL PT said...

Yo! I'm enjoying reading your posts which I am now entitling... "Days of Our Lives on a Park Bench"...so whenever you post from the park bench you must entitle it as such. Ha ha!

Missed you at dinner last night. I hope you had a good night. Oh, and I hope your trip to Arizona goes well. You leave soon right? Be safe.

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Luke said...

Hey ang,

Yeah, sorry I didn't make it out the other night. I'm sure the spaghettie was awesome!

How'd the 2nd part of the interview go? Did they offer you the job yet?

I will most definetly title my next post that...lol.

Later

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger CleanSlate said...

pah on you and a couple of mehs.

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger non_chalant said...

It amuses me how people think that if a Christian is drinking that they are rebelling or something. Like we aren't allowed to do anything. If she kept staring at you it might have been her trying to flirt wth you. Good choice in not going up to her. I love ya Luke keep being the man of God you are. God Bless

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger CleanSlate said...

Yesterday was a lot of fun. Perhapes not for you but it was for me. You are totally right about that bench its so relaxing. And we should totally make those rims, that way we'll be crazy rich and you can quit your job and hop on a train and i'll fly about the world so i can see everything i've always wanted to see.
anywho, see ya later at your game good luck.
-kat

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger CleanSlate said...

hmmm...sorry bout the game...i guess i'm just bad luck. Oh well. If it consoles you at all i was freezing, and my butt was soaked from sitting on those bleachers. Plus afterwards i went to Taco Hell and some punk kids in front of me took FOREVER! and then they were just being jerks to the taco hell menions and so it took even longer, and then the dude had to fix the computer so that i could pay for my food and stuff so yar, but my single taco was muy yummy. Anywho...this is really a long comment huh? I should be famous or something just for this one comment. yes...
-kat

 

Post a Comment

<< Home