Friday, June 09, 2006

Ok, ok, ok...you win

Well, here you go. Kat has sent me enough hate mail to help persuade me into posting again...
No, not really. It has been a while though, and it's about time I get back into it.

I was up last night trying to read, but it was too hot in the church, so I went outside and sat on the bench that sits on Delaware at 1:30 reading my Bible. It was probably 70 degrees with a cool breeze, the sound of the bugs hovering by the street light above my head illuminating timeless truths could be softly heard in the background, and then there was the battering of sound from the drunks leaving the bar down the street. All while God revealed his love, truth, and grace to me on that cool night.

I read through Galations, and will give you a short account of the passages that stood out to me.

Galations 1:10 "Obvoiusly, I'm not trying ot be a people pleaser! No, I am trying to please God. If I were trying to please people, I would not be Christ's servant."

Galations 1:15 "But then something happened! FOr it pleased God in his kindnes to choose me and call me, even before I was born! WHat undeserved mercy!"

Galations 2:19-21 "For when I tried to keep the law, I realized I could never earn God's approval. So I died to the law so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ. I myself no longer live,b ut Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I am not one of those who treats the grace of God as meaningless."

Galations 3:3 "Have you lost your senses? After starting your Christian lives in the Spirit, why are you now trying to become perfect by your own human effort?"

Galations 4:9 "And now that you have found God (or should I say, now that God has found you), why do you want to go back again and become slaves once more to the weak and useless powers of this world?"

Galations 5:6 "For when we place our faith in Christ Jesus, it makes no difference to God whether we are circumcised or not circumcised. What is important is faith expressing itself in love."

Galations 5:16-26 "So I advise you to live according to your new life in the HOly Spirit. Then you won't be doing what your sinful nature craves. The old sinful nature loves to do evil, which is just opposite from what the Holy SPirit wants. And the SPirit gives us desires that are opposite from what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, and your choices are never freee from this conflict. But when you are directed by the Holy Spirit, you are no longer subject to the law.
When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, your lives will produce these evil results: sexual immorality, impure thoughts, eagerness for lustful pleasure, idolatry, participation in demonic activities, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outburts of anger, selfish ambition, divisions, the feeling that everyone is wrong except those in your own little group, envy, drunkeness, wild parties, and other kinds of sin. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit hte Kingdom of God.
But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives, he will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Here there is no conflict with the law.
THOSE WHO BELONG TO CHRIST JESUS HAVE NAILED THE PASSIONS AND DESIRES OF THEIR SINFUL NATURE TO HIS CROSS AND CRUCIFIED THEM THERE. IF WE ARE LIVING NOW BY THE HOLY SPIRIT, LET US FOLLOW THE HOLY SPIRITS LEADING IN EVERY PART OF OUR LIVES. LET US NOT BECOME CONCEITED OR IRRITATE ONE ANOTHER, OR BE JEALOUS OF ONE ANOTHER."

Galations 6:1 "Dear brothers and sisters, if another Christian is overcome by some sin, you who are godly should gently and humbly help that person back onto the right path."

Galations 6:6-10 "Those who are taught the word of God should help their teachers by paying them. Don't be misled. Remember that you can't ignore God and get away with it. You will always reap what you sow! Those who live only to satisfy their own sinful desires will harves the consequences of decay and death. But those who live to please the Spirit will harves everlasting life from the Spirit. So don't get tired of doing what is good. Don't get discouraged and give up, for we will reap a harves of blessing at the appropriate time. Whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone, especially to our brothers and sisters in Christ."

Galations 6:14 "As for me, God frobid that I should boast about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. BEcause of that cross, my interest in this world died long ago, and the worlds interest in me is also long dead."


I love that last verse especially! Woot, Woot!

Anyway, maybe tommorrow we'll get ephesians.

7 Comments:

At 4:33 PM, Blogger CleanSlate said...

yes...an update...finally. Anywho, great update! Its always good to hear those things. I know i'm a slacker and should read my bible more but still...its great to have these little words ya know?
l8er
kat

 
At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Gary said...

Is God going to let you come back and play chess with me pal?

notbadu.

 
At 12:47 AM, Blogger Luke said...

Hey Gary! Yeah man, I can come back and play. I got slightly busy between finally closing on my house, and a bunch of training we've had lately, that I got behind and figured, I'd recked the ranking...oh well. I'd love to come back and play a game just for kicks and especially to keep hearing the comedy. You should seriously do stand up! You crack me up man.

 
At 1:37 AM, Anonymous Gary said...

Duuuude. Glad to see you back and very glad to see you are staying safe. You had me worried... just a little. Look forward to the game. I think you were slightly ahead before you left last time. Oh well, a win for me. I'll take what I can get when playing you!

notbadu buddy, notbadu

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger FL PT said...

Hey, I thought you were never coming back ha ha. Thanks for encouraging us w/ the scriptures!! So, when are you going to update us on what's going on in your neck of the woods? How's living at the church? How's the job? Any new card or domino victories? :-)

Anyway, I will be in town in 2 wks, less than 2 wks actually. I fly in on Weds 6/21 and leave on Sun 6/25. I have a job interview scheduled in Kansas City... yeehaw!! I hope I will see you when I am in town!

Cya later.

 
At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Gracie said...

What do you know about hate mail?

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger JP said...

Hey Luke: Thanks again for helping me move! You were a wonderful help; couldn't have done it without ya! Thanks again :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home